“For I am jealous for you with godly jealousy. For I have betrothed you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.” – 2 Corinthians 11:2
Scripture reading: Ephesians 5:25-33
Many places in Scripture show that Jesus is the husband to His bride, the church. One day there will be a glorious wedding. Until that time the bride of Christ is betrothed (or engaged) to Christ. Just as couples who are engaged set their minds on the wedding day, so should believers. How inappropriate it would be if we would start focusing on other lovers!
That’s why Paul says that he is jealous with a godly jealousy because Paul wants to see the bride of Christ completely and purely devoted to Christ alone! Not only Paul has holy jealousy, but the Lord Himself is rightly jealous. He wants to meet a bride that is ready to be presented to Him, seeking to live holy lives.
How can we do that? By keeping in view what He does for us:
- He vows that He will take care of all our needs.
- He shares with us what He earned on the cross, and at the open grave…
- He gives His righteousness, and He takes upon Himself our sins…
- He shares all His riches and takes away our shame and spiritual poverty.
- He tells us that He loves us and that the wedding is certain. Yes, the church is already considered the spouse of Christ! His love and commitment are absolutely reliable.
- He promised to go and prepare a place for us. Eye has not seen, ear not heard, what God prepares for those that love Him (1 Corinthians 2:9).
Therefore, pursue holiness!
Suggestions for prayer
Thank God for Christ’s commitment to His bride. Pray for the grace to live holy lives with our desires focused on what He has done and the coming wedding day.
Rev. Pieter van der Hoek served the Heritage Reformed Church of Burgessville ON Canada since May 2017. This year he took a call to the Heritage Reformed Church of Hull, Iowa USA. Get this devotional delivered directly to your phone each day via our RP App. It is also available in print, for purchase, at NTGDevotional.com.